

I have a food crush on RAMEN. TOP RAMEN that is! I use to make it after my day spent day dreaming @ school as a kid. That or a can of spaghetti-Os dipped with a corn chip! Those $.59 bags of dehydrated fried noodles which I’d stir an MSG-laden seasoning packet gave me the ultimate comfort food, and something I knew how to make! Now that I just had my birthday and I am a self declared adult in my head, finally. I deiced "I am in SF there has got to be good RAMEN around that is not packaged". As I searched online I found the following places applaused by locals and a recipe to try at home. I am excited to try the RAMEN joints.
Katana-Ya
, Izakaya Sozai
, Oyaji
, and Halu
Coffee Bar
in Potrero Hill. Hapa Ramen will be at the Thursday Farmers Market at the Ferry Building
.
Or, I can make it myself:
For the noodles:
5 eggs (255 grams)
4 cups flour (606 grams)
4 T water (62 grams)
4 cups flour (606 grams)
4 T water (62 grams)
Mix the eggs, flour, and water together in a standing mixer with a dough hook attachment until the dough is smooth and shiny. Let it rest. Roll it out using a pasta machine and cut the noodles on the #4 setting.
For the dashi:
12 quarts water
70 grams konbu
100 grams bonito flakes
170 grams niboshi
12 quarts water
70 grams konbu
100 grams bonito flakes
170 grams niboshi
Steep for 2.5 hours. Strain. Add 8.5 grams dried shiitake. Simmer for 30 minutes and remove. Add 8.5 lbs of chicken (2 whole chickens). Simmer on low for 90 minutes, then remove chicken. Strip the meat from the bones; reserve the bones for the stock and the meat for another use. Add 10 lbs of pork necks and 1 beef femur. Add water to cover, approximately 12–14 quarts.
Once at a simmer, add stripped chicken bones. Remove beef bone. Cook for 30 hours, replenishing water as needed. During the final seven hours, add in two onions and four carrots. At the end of 30 hours, strain the stock and add mirin, sake, and soy.
For the pork:
Cook sous-vide at 80°C for 8 hours.
Slice the pork, sauté some chard, and cook the noodles to your liking. Layer into a deep bowl and add a few ladles of broth. Garnish with a soft-boiled egg and a sheet of nori.

1 comment:
For some weird reason, we have always called Top Ramen "Smack Ramen" in our family. Don't ask me why, I have no idea why. Ramen noodles are definitely a comfort food. I just had some on Sunday:)
Post a Comment